Monday, March 7, 2011

Temperature Painting Numbah Two!

Moooore portraits! This one's a bit rushed as we had an event happening at the pod on Saturday, which is usually when I do these, so I had to jumble this together after class on Friday, haha.

I still need to work on my facial construction, there's some wonkiness going on in all of these, but I'm getting more comfortable with oils. This will be our last monochromatic portrait as well, as on Wednesday our glorious teacher Ron Lemen is going to take us in to the wonderful world of the Zorn palette, which is titanium white, yellow ochre, cad red light, and ivory black. It's a cool palette, well actually a warm one, but it is cool in the too-cool-for-school sense because the actual cool colors are derived simply from neutralizing the warm colors. Amidst all the hot yellows, reds, and oranges you get out of the cadmium and ochre, dulling them down will give you relative blues, greens, and purples, so you can pretty much get a full color spectrum out of just two colors plus black and white. It's a pretty rad bit of color theory, and should look awesome for portraiture. I am excite!

No comments:

Post a Comment