Monday, September 12, 2011

Figure Painting - 9-12-11

Here's some paintingk from today for class, the assignment was to use a limited palette of Titanium White, Yellow Ochre, Alizarin Crimson and Lamp Black (I used Ivory herpderp), which is a variant of the Zorn palette.

It was a good exercise, but personally I prefer how we approached it last time with Cad Red instead of Alizarin Crimson; crimson is hard to work with for flesh cause it's pushing close enough to purple that you can't get any orange or brown tones out of it in combination with Yellow Ochre, it's missing a transitional tone. So pretty much all the stuff in the skin has to be handled just with the ochre, cause adding too much crimson makes it look bruised.

But nonetheless it was fun and edumacational and I'm pretty happy with the final outcome, I got too dark with some of the modeling in the chest, but it still holds up alright. Also I weirdly managed to remove the wide-angleness of my reference photo and made it more in-proportion. I dunno if that's good or bad. xD

And speaking of, the ref was from characterdesigns.com which is a spiffy resource for figure ref.

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment